April 4, 2018

Yarn Along {April}

I recently started following a knitting blog called Small Things. I have really been enjoying it. The blog is lovely to look at, with soft, ethereal photos of writer Ginny's large family and homestead. It is a peaceful place of beauty and you can check it out here.  In her latest blog post, Ginny is encouraging all of us knitters/crocheters and otherwise fibery folks to share monthly what we are working on and what we are reading. Let's face it, in our group, we also tend to be bookish. You can follow along -- and play along -- by following the instructions over at Small Things on the Yarn Along blog page here.



I am following along, too, using the blog here, and Instagram! You can find me over at Instagram as freckledgirlknits.

Here is my entry for this month:


I just finished listening to The Golem and the Jinni on audiobook from our local library's digital checkout system, Overdrive. I loved the book. It is a fresh sort of fantasy story, with a lot of middle eastern and Jewish folklore and legends woven in. I feel like I learned a lot of new things while reading a compelling story about two mythical creatures brought to New York against their will in 1899. I will say no more, except that the book is not just an adventure. It raises a lot of questions and will get you thinking.

Now I am reading The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James. I didn't have high hopes for a book like this one, as I was uncertain that a modern person -- even an English scholar -- could capture a voice for the story that rang true. After a trusted bookish friend told me how much she loved this book, I borrowed it from her. Now, halfway through the book, I purchased my own copy! I am simultaneously listening to (re-reading) Jane Eyre through the CraftLit podcast (binge listening to that last one, as this book was done on the podcast some time ago), and the two are wonderful together! Heather Ordover of CraftLit, English teacher/professor brings wonderful insights into the writing and times of the authors, which makes the books she presents thoroughly rich. Amy Rose and I are also listening weekly to the current CraftLit book, Anne of Green Gables once a week. For you knitterly readers, Heather Ordover also happens to be the author of What Would Madame Defarge Knit? and What Else Would Madame Defarge Knit?

The socks I am working on currently are a free pattern on Ravelry called Cool Morning Socklet by Marlene Berghout. I really like the pattern. The designer is very thorough in her instructions and even includes a little tutorial for her unusual short rows (new to me, anyway!) which include "twin/shadow stitches." I am using some old leftover yarn from the very first sock class I took years ago from local Portland designer Chrissy Gardiner. The yarn is Dream in Color Smooshy in Happy Forest colorway. I only had 46 grams left (if I frogged the little sample sock from the class... which I had to do) and it is just going to finish the second sock!

Said goodbye to this tiny sample sock from my first knitting class ever. The lace on the back was horrendous,
anyway! I had no idea what I was doing.

Love the easy-to-follow lace pattern on these socks

The unusual gusset and short rows are pretty attractive



4 comments:

pleximama said...

cute socks! love the green.

Freckeld Girl Knits said...

Thank you! :) Green is my favorite color -- this was purchased during my heavy "Hobbit" period!

Anonymous said...

I'm listening to Anne on Craftlit too! I love Heather's format and I love your socks. I'm working on a pair of ankle socks right now. They will be perfectly serviceable but I don't love them. To put it in context I feel about them the same that Anne feels about dresses without puffy sleeves.

Freckeld Girl Knits said...

Carrie, I am so glad to meet a fellow Craftlit listener! I know what you mean about "serviceable socks" that you don't love. Sounds like you need next to make the sock equivalent of "puffed sleeves!" :)