April 2, 2018

Happy Easter ... mostly through eating...

Hello, all! I hope you all had a blessed and wonderful Easter Sunday. We did our usual visit to my parents' church for their Easter cantata, which becomes more charming (and powerful) each year as the entire church continues to age (and, thus, shrink as well **sad sigh**). The amazing fortitude that this little band of baptists possess is inspiring. Through my parents, I have been a part of this church for about 32 years, and how this aging and now-dwindling population continues to keep absolutely everything going is nothing short of mind-blowing -- from maintaining the enormous (and now largely empty) building and grounds to keeping every single outreach program going, including a bus that picks up any person needing a ride to and from church. Following the lovely Easter program given by these saintly people, we had a very early breakfast with my own aging parents (my dad is turning 88 this year!) and then said our goodbyes to them for the day, heading home for more Eastering.

At home, I am responsible each Easter to serve dinner to my husband's family and our kids (whichever of them are available!). For this task, I start cleaning and then cooking a few days prior to this, and any, holiday. And now, with my new eating habits, I have been learning (starting with last Thanksgiving) to make things a little differently, while still making them delicious. I figure everyone can eat a little better; why do I have to be the only one? Aren't I sort of responsible for my family's well being?! While my menu is not perfect (I had a stomach ache for a few hours after eating the frosting on the carrot cake, but it was worth it for one -- or two -- servings!)

Here are some pics and recipes/information to follow!















On this year's menu: 

Gluten Free/Soy Free Carrot Cake from Divas Can Cook, new recipe to me and WOW! Not necessarily dairy free, but can be made that way. See recipe. (I just noticed I accidentally put dessert first. Oh, well.)
Gluten/Dairy/Soy Free Scalloped Potatoes from Faithfully Gluten Free, new also, and WOW WOW! This one is also very low in fat -- and it was such a hit that my family demands it be put in regular dinner rotation. I did have to cook it longer than directed, like 15 more minutes in the oven and I covered it as the potatoes were not getting cooked well enough at about half-way through. Next time, I'd cover it from the get-go, uncovering it for the last 15 minutes of baking.
Gluten/Dairy/soy free carrot/jicama/parsley/golden raisins salad using the base for Whole30 Carrot and Jicama Remoulade, page 138 in the Whole30 cookbook. That recipe is not online for free, but includes making your own soy free mayonnaise, which I keep on hand, and adding dijon mustard and lemon juice. As you see, I put my personal ingredients here in my recipe "title." Plus, I added 1 tablespoon of sugar to mine. BTW, if you have this cookbook, make ALL the recipes on this page as a meal -- it's really good. And don't be afraid to play!! TWEAK those ingredients! I make my salad more than double, using a zillion carrots (ok, like 8) and a large jicama, but I don't exactly double the dressing. It just doesn't need it.
Costco Ham. No romance here, just made it straight up off the package, because people love it. Ok, and expect it. :)
Roasted Asparagus I thought I had my own recipe, but turns out that Ina Garten makes hers just like I do. I am flattered and defer to her. Get the recipe here.
Deviled Eggs, my own recipe. I don't eat them as they are not "safe," but I will share the recipe: hard boil about 12 eggs, cool and peel. Halve the eggs, smashing up the yolks well in a good-sized bowl. Whisk in about 3/4 cups mayo and 1 tsp or so of dijon mustard. If you can't whisk it after a few go-rounds, add more mayo until you can -- just watch not to make it too thin. Once you are happy with the consistency, stir in: 6 sliced green onions, 6 slices chopped cooked/cooled thick bacon, white pepper to taste and about 1.5 tablespoons of Ranch dressing mix (powder). I sometimes get crazy and add 1/4 tsp of onion powder AND 1/4 tsp garlic powder as well. A few finely chopped dill pickles and/or olives don't suck in this recipe, either. Once done with all your own personal experimentation, generously sprinkle the whole platter with paprika and freshly ground black pepper.  And what the heck, toss more green onions on the top. It's so pretty!
White Nut Bread, from Betty Crock's New Picture Cook from 1961. NOT GF/DF. But it's so lovely, I wanted to make it for everyone. It feels just -- Eastery. Since there is no recipe online close to this, I am taking a chance and sharing mine. I love this loaf. It is huge!! Bake for the time it says exactly and don't freak out when it looks like it's getting too tall. Mine has never run over the sides of the glass pan I use:



After Dinner, of course, and Easter Egg hunt! Since it was raining outside, we did ours for Amy Rose indoors!!




Daddy made it pretty challenging. We are still findings eggs...

No comments: