April 9, 2018

#The100DayProject



Morning Pages Journal #2. I get the fattest notebooks
I can find!
I am feeling all "joiny" right now! In addition to the Yarn Along from the Small Things blog, I have decided to participate in the Instagram #The100DayProject. I came across it last Thursday, poking around on Instagram while waiting for my dad at OHSU at his cochlear implant pre-surgery appointment (You can get into a lot of trouble in 2 hours. At least I didn't buy anything ... I think. Well maybe a book or two. Thanks a lot, Amazon.)

First, I found Kim Werker's #yearofmaking2018 as I follow her (and sort of worship her). Then as I looked around at what that was, I noticed someone used Kim Werker's hashtag, and another one, the #The100DayProject one. Very interesting, I thought. In my waiting room stupor, I was weak. I joined them both. After all, they are related, right?

As I get back into my crafty self, I felt like these sorts of games/challenges/groups/participations/insanities/whatthehellamIdoings could help me along. After all, a lot can be accomplished in 100 days, or in 365 of them. And I like the framework of it all, even if am late to both games.

For my #yearofmaking, and per the rules, I am posting anything I made or worked towards finishing that day. Tonight, it was an old pair of socks that I've recently picked back up: Wendy Johnson's Rosebud Socks from her book, Toe-Up Socks for Every Body. They seemed slow and hard months ago, but now suddenly they are not only not-so-bad, they are fun! I am not feeling so terrified of getting lost in the lace pattern now -- why? Don't care; I'm just glad for it!

#The100DayProjecct seems a little more "formal," if you could say that. The rules say to name your project, and post something you make/made every day. Seemed like they should be related to each other, as in a greater project. I had to think about that one. My mission on this is still a little bit in development (I had trouble getting a project name that was not already taken, for example!), but I have decided to post one photo every day as it relates to my journey -- no, overused word -- my commitment to discover through The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. 

My adult daughter handed me the book three years ago, announcing to me as she was working through it herself, "Mom, you're a blocked creative. You need to do this, too." So I did it. I went through Julia Cameron's program. It was so shockingly powerful, moving and healing. It was raw and difficult -- the sort of thing that as you work through it and you find yourself sobbing, and you are not sure if the tears are of of sadness, anger, relief or all three. Sometimes they might feel really happy and you may find yourself sobbing and laughing at yourself at once.

I will be posting more blog entries about this experience, but I can tell you: thinking back now, and re-reading my morning pages (journal entries as named by Julia Cameron, the author), I believe I only scratched the surface that first time around.

Me painting my kitchen ... YELLOW! Totally
crazy, I know...
This past week was serendipitous. I was not working. My kids were on Spring Break and visiting relatives. I had time to reflect while I took my parents to appointments and painted my kitchen and pantry. I had quiet time to write and read, knit, journal and write ... and think. And it was during this week that it occured to me that I should probably do the Artist's Way again, to revisit it, and to learn more. And it was this week that these other opportunities knocked to help me along.

So, here I go. Maybe you want to come with me. I have provided links to all the pertinent information above. Who knows what we will find?

My project for #The100DaysProject : #100photosonlivingacreativelife .  As I said, I plan to post one photo per day, and mention something important to me that was revealed by working through Julia Cameron's program. I realize some of the things I will say will be universally true, but they became true for me for the first time in my life three years ago. I am still working towards living freely as a creative and I love that the passage into that life never ends.

My "Cool Morning Socks," all finished! 


No comments: